The latter is definitely the approach I wanted to take with the commission that I have been working on. Before I even started the draft stage I knew about its complexity, so I planned carefully. Once I got to the draft stage and the client was happy with the design, the tracing process can begin.
After a few tweeks to the design, I decided that I was going to have a go at using 'Tracedown' paper for transferring the design onto the watercolour paper. If any of you have not heard of this before it is like the carbon paper that you used to use in typewriters, but this has a graphite base to it.
I started very cautiously and soon discovered that I was not happy with the results. I used a 3H pencil to trace the design through and even with a fine point the lines created from the 'Tracedown' onto the paper were not sharp or precise enough and had a fuzziness to them. Thinking cap on !
Out came the good old normal tracing paper, a fine liner and my light-box.
|A 'flotilla' of wildfowl added, along with a Heron. The Pyramidal orchid has now been replaced with an Adders tongue fern|
|Using previous paintings and sketches for reference.|
|Today's work so far and the next step is to finalise the layered scrub and plantation woodland habitats, with their relevant species.|